Search This Blog

Sunday, April 29, 2007

Shepherd but also Lamb

The Liturgy for the 4th Sunday of Easter has Jesus as both Lamb and Shepherd.
The 2nd reading is from Revelation and speaks three times of the Lamb:
1- the multitude "stood before the throne and before the Lamb...
2- then one of the elders said, "These are the ones who have survived the time of great distress; they have washed their robes and made them in the blood of the Lamb.
3- "For the Lamb who is in the center of the throne will shepherd them and lead them to springs of life-giving water, and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes."

So, the Lamb shepherds us and Jesus is both the Paschal Lamb and the Good Shepherd "who laid down his life for his sheep, who died for his flock, he is risen, alleluia!" (Communion antiphon)

One summer after a serious bout of anemia when I had not strength to walk a block, I went into retreat. Those eight days are remembered vividly because I actually felt the presence of the Good Shepherd carrying me in His arms. The image and the feeling of being carried with love is all that I remember from that retreat but it still gives me great consolation. "Shepherd me, O God, from all my wants, from all my fears, from death into life."We are indeed his people, "the sheep of the flock."

No comments: