Search This Blog

Monday, December 3, 2007

How to have a fruitful Advent

Michael Traher, in the new Sunday Missal published by Living With Christ, suggests just a few things are necessary for a fruitful Advent: "quiet, attentive hearts, ready to listen to God's word within us; the desire to be open to surprise by what we may hear or experience; a profound trust that allows God to light up our hearts with a burning desire that will set us on fire for the things of God; and finally, a firm resolve to 'keep awake' and not to miss the coming of the Lord as we walk in Christ as a light to the world."

Each of these are worthy of reflection today. How am I going to cultivate a quiet, attentive heart, ready to listen to God's word within me?

Have I the desire to be open to surprise by what I might hear or experience and am I able to recognize that this is God speaking to me?

Is my trust so strong and deep that it allows God to enkindle the fire of his own love within me? How can I grow in trust during this Advent?

Am I awake? How do I stay alert to the coming of the Lord this Advent?"

No comments: