Search This Blog

Sunday, August 31, 2008

Jeremiah's commitment


The first reading for the Sunday Liturgy is from Jeremiah 20 and begins, "You have seduced me, O Lord, and I let myself be seduced." This is the beginning of one of Jeremiah's five confessions; in this one, he complains because he is trying to speak out for the Lord and he is being laughed at and mocked. He has to speak of violence and that has not happened and he feels that "the word of the Lord has brought me derision and reproach".
Poor Jeremiah! He wants to be silent and not mention the Lord but he cannot stop speaking for God because then it "becomes like fire burning in my heart, imprisoned in my bones; I grow weary holding it in, I cannot endure it."
These are strong words. Jeremiah has been seduced by the Lord. We, too, must let ourselves be seduced by Him who loves us!

As I liked both opening prayers for today, I am going to copy the alternate one here for reflection.
Lord God of power and might, nothing is good which is against your will, and all is of value which comes from your hand. Place in our hearts a desire to please you and fill our minds with insight into love, so that every thought may grow in wisdom and all our efforts may be filled with your peace. We ask this through Christ our Lord.

No comments: