Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Miscellaneous


It just seemed as if it is time for a Miscellaneous Day again. I am on a Round Table to explore how Religious of the Sacred Heart can continue to deepen our inner life and contemplation. We have so many helps given us in our Constitutions that, if we really lived out what is prescribed for us, I think we would all be saints.

I have been looking at some quotes from St. Madeleine Sophie, who founded the Society of the Sacred Heart in France in 1800; today, I want to share a few with you:

"An interior person has the ceaseless remembrance of the one for whom we act."

"The Heart of Jesus is for us shelter, food, fire, light, cool water...It is our element, our path, our life, our all."

"Love Jesus and do everything for him and in him."

"Love God, and if you cannot meditate you can always say,'My God, I love You.'"

Since my course is reading The Cloud of Unknowing this week, I have a few quotes also from that wonderful spiritual classic to share with you:

"If you wish to keep growing you must nourish in your heart the lively longing for God...All that he asks of you is that you fix your love on him..."

"One loving blind desire for God alone is more valuable in itself, more pleasing to God and to the saints, more beneficial to your own growth and more helpful to your friends, both living and dead, than anything else you could do."

"Though we cannot know him we can love him. By love he may be touched and embraced, never by thought."

"It is not what you are, nor what you have been that God sees with his all-merciful eyes, but what you desire to be."

I suspect that each of these quotes needs some time for reflection.

No comments: