Search This Blog

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Seventh Sunday in Ordinary Time


In this picture Jesus has cured the paralytic and told him to take up his mat and walk; he first forgave him his sins. I reflected on this Gospel on Thursday in "Preparing for Sunday" but have another thought to share today: "Paralysis is seen as a real physical condition in today's Gospel. It is also an image of the cumulative power of our sinful choices to ensnare us and hold us back from walking freely in the way of Christ."(Magnificat,(Vol.10 #13 p.311)
Today I want to look at the sinful choices in my own life. I do not really desire to do this, but need to do it. With the psalmist I cry our, "Lord, heal my soul, for I have sinned against you."

Paul tells us in the reading from 2 Corinthians 1:18-22 that we have been "given the Spirit in our hearts." And Isaiah, in the first reading of today's liturgy: "Thus says the Lord: Remember not the events of the past, the things of long ago consider not; see, I am doing something new! The Lord is always doing something new and surprises me. But the Lord says, "The people I formed for myself, that they might announce my praise. Yet you did not call upon me, O Jacob, for you grew weary of me, O Israel. You burdened me with your sins, and wearied me with your crimes. It is I, I, who wipe out, for my own sake, your offenses; your sins I remember no more."
That reading calls for our reflection. We were formed to praise God, but we "grew weary" of the Lord who has called us into existence and given us life; we have not responded well but have burdened him with our sins, yet he forgives us. The Lord is merciful.

No comments: