Search This Blog

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Sixth Sunday in Ordinary Time


As I reflected on Jesus curing the leper in today's Gospel when preparing for Sunday on the Thursday blog, I am now looking at the second reading from Paul's First Letter to the Corinthians (10:31-11:1). Paul tells us that "whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do everything for the glory of God."
Whatever we do - nothing is too small to do it for the glory of God! I was always told when a child that "If something is worth doing, it is worth doing right." I guess this relates to whatever we do, do it for the glory of God! That makes me remember one of our nuns who told me that she was told to always make her bed as though Jesus was going to sleep in it. I have never forgotten that and am incapable of just pulling up covers but must make the bed perfectly every morning. Actually, it is always one of my more contemplative moments outside of prayer.
This reflection seems to have strayed from the day's second reading, but Paul does tell us that we are to avoid giving offense, whether to the Jews or Greeks or the church of God, "just as I try to please everyone in every way, not seeking my own benefit but that of the many, that they may be saved. Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ."

That is something to ponder. Do I try to please everyone in every way? I think some of the saints did this, but I feel it is only possible with the help of the Lord. I might get through one day pleasing everyone in every way, but I do not think I would have the courage to keep it up. Jesus did though and I have met some who live this way all the time. Lord help us to try to please You and in pleasing you, to please others! I do not want to seek my own good, but that of the many, that they may be saved!

The Psalm refrain today is: "I turn to you, Lord, in time of trouble, and you fill me with the joy of salvation." The Lord wants us to turn to him. So often I worry over a situation and forget to even bring it before the Lord. Nothing is too small for He can name the stars and every hair of our heads!

No comments: