Search This Blog

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Sophie's Journal - 9


In a conference given for the opening of the novitiate, Mother Barat named the dispositions she desired to find in the novices: generosity, devotedness, entire gift of self, courage, confidence and joy. They were to serve the Lord in joy and not allow their faults to discourage them. When aware of their faults, they were to humble themselves before the Lord and begin again with courage and joy.

A daily schedule of prayer, work, study and recreation, was soon established and different employments given to the novices. Mother Barat was available for personal direction and she noted that some came to speak with her every day and some more than once within the same day!

When I was in the novitiate, we were nearly one hundred novices and so I think I saw my mistress of novices about every four weeks. Later, I would see my superior as a young religious about every two weeks for spiritual direction.

No comments: