Search This Blog

Thursday, March 15, 2018

What I am reading

The New York Times Magazine that I read faithfully each week, always asks the author being interviewed: "What books are on your nightstand?" Usually there are many and quite often I have never heard of any of the books on the nightstand and even on the floor by the bed.
I have no books on top of my very tiny nightstand which barely holds a lamp, a clock, and a tiny statue of Our Lady. However, I do have nine book shelves still full of books. What I am sharing today are those I seem to be reading at present and only one, recently received as a gift from a dear friend, belong to me; the rest have been given to me within the last ten days by my kind sisters here who have even checked a couple of books from our library for me after I have expressed an interest. These books are now to be found between bookends on top of the bookcase near my chair: World Without End. This book is the one given to me and consists of interviews with both Father Thomas Keating and Joseph Boyle by Lucette Verbovin, a Flemish film producer and author; Richard Rohr's The Divine Dance; David Richo's
The Sacred Heart of the World: Restoring Mystical Devotion to our Spiritual Life, a book I had in Miami and now want to read again; Ashes to Easter, by Robert Morneau, a old book but is good Lenten resource but I have not really been using it yet; and This Fight is Our Fight by Elizabeth Warren. This last book is not really spiritual reading but is concerned with the struggle to save America's Middle Class. I also have my Journal between those book ends in case I need to record a thought or a quote for future use.
I have less time to read here than I did in Miami. but reading is important for me and I was delighted to know that my high school senior had made a resolution to read a book a week. I forgot that there is still another book among the above just waiting to be read. It is called Religious Life: The First Constitutions of the Religious of the Society of the Sacred Heart, Text and Commentary.
My friends who know me are going to say, "And what novel are you reading this week?" I think I am not reading any at the moment; I have quite a collection on the shelf under my night-stand, but perhaps Lent lends itself to more serious reading. 

No comments: