Search This Blog

Thursday, April 5, 2018

Peace be with you


Luke tells us that while the two disciples that had recognized Jesus in the breaking of the bread while at supper in Emmaus were still telling the apostles what had taken place, Jesus stood in their midst. "Peace be with you." But they were terrified and thought that they were seeing a ghost. Jesus then asks them: "Why are you troubled? And why do questions arise in your hearts? Look at my hands and my feet, that it is I myself. Touch me and see, because a ghost does not have flesh and bones as you can see I have."
The disciples are still incredulous for joy so then Jesus asks them if they have anything to eat and they give him a piece of baked fish and he eats it in front of them.  Then he opens their minds to understand the Scriptures.
Other accounts of the Easter apparition to the disciples have Jesus giving them the Holy Spirit and the Sacrament of Reconciliation. Let us thank Jesus for both!

No comments: