Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Near enough to listen when God calls





Flowers give joy! I think the image of the Good Shepherd also gives me great joy. In yesterday's Gospel (John 10:11-18) we have Jesus telling us that He is the good shepherd, "and I know mine and mine know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father."
Wow! Think about that!
Then, in Give Us Today there is a reflection entitled "Within the Sound of the Shepherd's Voice" by Sister Elizabeth Meadows.
She recalls how she was allowed out to play as long as she stayed within the sound of her mother's voice. That brought back memories as we were also allowed out to play with the neighborhood children until we heard the unique whistle my Dad could make - a real tune that I could never learn; I never could even make a whistling sound. When we heard my Dad's whistle, we came running.
Now we need to stay within the sound of the Shepherd's voice - our good Shepherd who has laid down his life for us. So we listen for his call and are quick to respond. Remember, our God is a God of surprises! We just need to listen for his voice!
When we are silent, we hear His voice.

No comments: