Search This Blog

Monday, May 1, 2017

St. Joseph, the Worker




I love the image of St. Joseph teaching his trade to Jesus. I am glad there is a day to celebrate St. Joseph, the Worker. He was skilled and taught his skills as a carpenter to Jesus. His work provided for his family. I think of all the fathers who toil to take care of their families today. I think of my own Dad who spent the day working for us and then managed to spend time on the week ends with us. He was tired at the end of the day, but we had dinner conversation about what was happening in our days and almost never did Dad talk about work. He sometimes mentioned someone he had seen that day; I found out later from others how helpful Dad was to all who worked with him or who came to him or even those he saw waiting for help.
Joseph was a silent man. He may help us all to recover the deep, interior silence that we need for prayer. Joseph was also a man of prayer and had such faith. He listened to the way God spoke to him in dreams and promptly obeyed. Let us ask Joseph to help us to listen to God in our daily lives.

No comments: