Search This Blog

Saturday, April 5, 2008

At Sea With God at Dawn


I think this scene is helpful for beginning my morning prayer - I love the idea of setting sail with Jesus and letting the Lord plan my day and be with me in the boat. He is the captain and I am crew and we are going to do all today together and let the wind carry us along.
I have been planning the graduation ceremony for my Online International Certificate Program in Spirituality Studies which will be this Monday. Ten are graduating and five excellent students will still be in the Program in September. I hope to have a really good new batch of students to join them, but I must say that this last group has been one of the most hard-working, intelligent, creative groups that I have ever had the privilege of teaching. They have not only studied how others have sought and found God through the centuries, but they have been seeking and finding God in their own lives. I hope to tell them that on Monday. The ceremony will be videotaped and up on the University website hopefully as soon as possible.
Today's Gospel is special for me. It has Jesus coming to the disciples on the sea. They are afraid but he calls out, "It is I. Do not be afraid." John tells us that they wanted to take Jesus into the boat, but the boat immediately arrived at the shore to which they were heading. I have often heard Jesus say to me, "It is I. Do not be afraid." It is a grace to thank for and I do, but I like having Jesus in the boat with me. He likes to be invited so I urge you to invite him to sail with you today!

No comments: