Search This Blog

Sunday, June 6, 2021

Feast of the Most Holy Body and Blood of Christ


 Bread and wine, ordinary everyday in the life of the early Christians, Yet Jesus was able to take bread and wine and change it into a way of allowing Himself to be present with us even as He was leaving us. He gave his chosen ones the power to continue to change the bread and wine into His Body and Blood so that we may receive Him into our bodies and be strengthened to continue His mission of love here on earth. As a child I was thrilled to hear that somewhere on earth a priest was saying Mass and changing the bread and wine into the Body and Blood of Jesus Christ. I hope that is still true, but what a gift the Eucharist has been for Catholics everywhere! Jesus is still with us and our churches are still places where we can go and adore Him present in the tabernacle. He is with us and gives us courage to face the many hardships that living on earth entails.

Today I am only going to quote the Communion Antiphon and the Prayer after Communion.

"Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him, says the Lord." Jn 6:57

"Grant, O Lord, we pray,

that we may delight for all eternity in that share in your divine life, which is foreshadowed in the present age by our reception of your precious Body and Blood. Who live and reign for ever and ever.

This a one of the few feasts with a sequence. The Lauda Sion has many verses. I suggest you pick out one or two to pray over today.

No comments: