Search This Blog

Monday, December 20, 2021

Better Late then Never!


 I am aware that I have missed writing the last two days. I have had trouble with my laptop. Now, I hope everything will not disappear before I get this blog published.

We are in the last week of Advent and need to slow down and breathe. It is easy for me to say this, but I am sure many of my readers are trying to buy all they need for Christmas dinner, still wrapping some presents or trying to mail last minute cards, etc. We plan ahead, but there are always the unexpected details that feel they could overwhelm us. Take a deep breath, take several, and just stop for a minute and think of what is really necessary to prepare for Christmas.

I am concerned about the lack of preparation still in many parishes in the United States for the synods that will really listen to all about the needs of the Church.

"The Synod then offers us the opportunity to become a listening Church, to break out of our routine and pause from our pastoral concerns in order to stop and listen.  To listen to the Spirit in adoration and prayer…  Finally, it offers us the opportunity to become a Church of closeness.  Let us keep going back to God’s own “style”, which is closeness, compassion and tender love.  God has always operated that way.  If we do not become this Church of closeness with attitudes of compassion and tender love, we will not be the Lord’s Church".
(Pope Francis, 9 October 2021)


No comments: