Search This Blog

Sunday, December 12, 2021

Sunday of the Third Week of Advent, Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe


 I took the habit and officially became a novice in the Society of the Sacred Heart 71 years ago today.

It is both a feast of Our Lady, the birthday of St. Madeleine Sophie, and the Third Sunday of Advent, Gaudete Sunday. We are to rejoice in the Lord. 

I am rejoicing because I just had a wonderful week with my friend, Patrick. We spent the first days in retreat but prayer together and shared and had our meals together but mostly kept silence as there were three or four Sisters there making their retreats. Advent is a great time to take off and have a some days of quiet prayer. I was, of course, praying much for my sister-in-law, Anita, as she was finishing the month with the trial drug and the doctors said there was no hope and suggested hospice. The very day the month trial ended, Thursday, Anita was baptized and went to God in her sleep less than three hours later. We consider that a miracle. I know she is in heaven, but we have had the Mass offered for her here. I feel for my brother, but we are all happy that Anita is with God.

There is so much to pray for and so many have died, been killed by accidents, tornadoes, etc. that it is good to be able to rejoice today for the Lord is coming and only the Lord can solve the problems of both the Church and the World. Perhaps Christmas will change the hearts of some of our members of Congress to act for the common good and not for political party interests.

Let us be joy-bearers today and always!

No comments: