Search This Blog

Saturday, February 11, 2017

Feast of Our Lady of Lourdes


After giving the Thirty Day Ignatian Retreat to two priests, a Brother, and a Benedictine Sister, I went from Manresa, Spain to Lourdes in France by bus. Arriving on the eve of the eve of Pentecost, we were fortunate to find a room to rent.
We joined the candlelight procession and it was very thrilling to see all the pilgrims with their lighted candles. The Mass in the crypt was devotional, but I was struck by the prayer of a multitude of people from all over the world. The next day I went to see the sick lined up to wait for the water baths; I also found the room with the confessionals that seemed to cover many languages. I went into one that had "English" on the door, but I think that was wishful thinking; however, the Holy Spirit was very present then and during the entire week end. Still, it was a relief to arrive in Rome on Pentecost and hear all the bells.
I often go to pray at the shrine here and used to do the same in Chile, but I just pray to Our Lady and do not think much about her appearing at Lourdes and the many miraculous healings that have taken place there. She loves to see what we need and point it out to her Son, Jesus.

No comments: