Search This Blog

Friday, February 23, 2007

St. Polycarp, Bishop and Martyr


Today is the feast of St. Polycarp, one of the early Fathers of the Church who was martyred around 155 at the age of 86. We have an account of his martyrdom.
The responsorial psalm in the Liturgy for today is:
A heart contrite and humbled,
O God, you will not spurn.”


Lord, give me a heart that is contrite and humbled. When I acknowledge my sin – a sin of not loving You who so loves me; a sin of seeking my own interests instead of Yours; a sin of slow response to Love’s call; - then, indeed, I am contrite and humbled. I know that Your mercy is unending love and I ask You to take my poor heart into Yours and let it burn with love for You and for all. You call me to both live in Your love and to give this love to others.

No comments: