Search This Blog

Sunday, January 25, 2009

God is greater than the human heart


I surprised myself with the picture today; I had filed it as "joy with peace" and wanted to see what it was and decided to leave it as every Sunday is a new call to live in peace, joy, and integrity and all of these in the Spirit, the Giver of all good gifts.
Since I am now Preparing for Sunday on the Thursday before, I shall just use the alternate opening prayer for this Sunday and then have a brief reflection on Psalm 25.
Alternate Opening Prayer:
"Almighty Father (not God but Father!) the love you offer always exceeds the furthest expression of our human longing, for you are greater than the human heart. Direct each thought, each effort of our life, so that the limit of our faults and weaknesses may not obscure the vision of your glory or keep us from the peace you have promised. We ask this through Christ our Lord. Amen.

I like that prayer. The love God offers us is far beyond our desires for "God is greater than the human heart."
We ask God to direct every thought and effort of our lives so that we will see his glory and have peace. Obama's speech at the Inauguration comes to mind, and this leads me to the verses from Psalm 25 for today's liturgy (4-9); we are asking God to teach us his ways. The response is Teach me your ways, O Lord."
Your ways, O Lord, make known to me; teach me your paths, guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my savior.Teach me your ways, O Lord."

Remember that your compassion, Lord, and your love are from of old. In your kindness remember me, because of your goodness, O Lord.Teach me your ways, O Lord."

Good and upright is the Lord, thus he shows sinners the way. He guides the humble to justice and teaches the humble his way. Teach me your ways, O Lord."

May we learn to be humble. One of my favorite quotes from St. Madeleine Sophie is: "Be humble, be simple, and bring joy to others."

No comments: