Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Rejoice, O hearts that seek the Lord!



The opening prayer for today's Liturgy says: "Lord our God, help us to love you with all our hearts and to love all as you love them." That is really what Jesus came to teach us and what we should be about each day.

The response to the Psalm is: "The Lord remembers his covenant for ever."
My favorite verses from today's Psalm 105 are: "Glory in his holy name; rejoice, O hearts that seek the Lord! Look to the Lord in his strength; seek to serve him constantly."
The serving the Lord constantly is a challenge and needs daily personal reflection. I think that I am aware of serving the Lord when I can glory in his holy name and rejoice! Joy is always the touchstone for me; just a quiet joy that is deep in the heart. I suspect that when we are seeking the Lord we do have that kind of joy!

In the Gospel today, Jesus cures not only Peter's mother-in-law, but all those who were brought to him after sunset. Then, Jesus "rising very early before dawn...went to a deserted place, where he prayed." Jesus needed this early morning prayer and has taught me how vital it is in my own life.

No comments: