Search This Blog

Monday, May 21, 2012

More Books

Benner, David. "Spirituality and the Awakening Self: The Sacred Journey of Transformation."  This is another new book that I have only read parts of but will get to it eventually as I think I will learn more about myself while reading it. Benner combines spirituality with psychology and that is perhaps why I have put off reading his book that was just published this year. I have read him before and find he is more psychological than spiritual in his writing and I tend to choose the books that are more spiritual to read first.

Another easy book to read is Edward Beck's "Soul Provider: Spiritual Steps to Limitless Love." Image Books, 2007.
Although this was published four years ago, I just found it this year.

I know that I have mentioned Sandra Schneiders, "Prophets in Their Own Country: Women Religious Bearing Witness to the Gospel in a Troubled Church." Orbis, 2011. I read this with delight and as a preparation for our Provincial Assembly this summer. Most of the book consists in articles that I had read before but Sandra has put them together and it is a powerful book showing religious life in a positive way. One of my male friends bought it and read it and found it worthwhile so I think it is not just for Sisters but for all who want to understand the changes in Religious Apostolic Orders and see how we are meeting the needs of today's world.

I think that is enough for now as I still need to add all the books listed in the past week to the list of good spiritual reading that I keep on the right side of my blog. Perhaps I will be able to use a different color when I type them in as the list is growing quite long!


No comments: