Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 16, 2020

The Weight of Nothing


 One of the Sisters here gave me this little tale called "The Weight of Nothing" and I am sharing it with you today.

"Tell me the weight of a snowflake", a coal mouse asked a wild dove. "Nothing more than nothing," was the answer. "In that case, I must tell you a marvelous story," the coal mouse said.

"I sat on the branch of a fir, close to its trunk, when it began to snow --not heavily, not in a raging blizzard--no, just like in a dream, without any sound and without violence. Since I did not have anything better to do, I counted the snowflakes settling on the twigs and needles in my branch. Their number was exactly 3,714, 952. When the 3,714,953rd dropped onto the branch, nothing more than nothing as you would say--the branch broke off."

Having said that, the coal mouse flew away.

The dove, since Noah's time an authority on the matter, thought about the story for a while, and finally said to herself, "Perhaps there is only one person's voice lacking for peace in the world."

No comments: