Search This Blog

Thursday, March 8, 2007

The Father of the Prodigal Son

I am posting for Saturday and Sunday, March 10 and 11, as I will be in Houston for meetings with our Mother General and one of the Central Team.

Luke's Gospel for Saturday tells us much about the Father of the prodigal son. The father divided his property between his two sons at the request of the younger son who then left home and wasted his money until he was destitute and finally realized that he wanted to return home. His father has been looking for him every day as he never lost hope that his son would return. When he sees him coming, his compassionate heart makes him run to his son, hug and kiss him and hardly heed the son's confession. Instead, the father calls to the servants to come and adorn his son for a feast that he plans to celebrate the home-coming of the prodigal. The older son returns to find that the whole household is celebrating and he is filled with resentment. His father comes out to seek him and plead with him. He tells him: "My son, you are here with me always; everything I have is yours. But now we are celebrating and rejoicing because your brother was dead and has come to life again; he was lost and has been found."
Sometimes I am the older son and sometimes the prodigal but my Father is compassionate and loves me no matter what I have done and waits for my return. Am I as compassionate? I feel gratitude when I think that the Father also says to me: "You are here with me always; everything I have is yours."

No comments: