Search This Blog

Friday, March 30, 2007

One Thursday a month we have a Reflection Group that meets in my community for supper, prayer, and reflection. We usually have a chosen book and share from our own experience. On other Thursdays I meet with a smaller group for prayer and reflection. It just happens that both groups are using different booklets from the new series "Bridges to Contemplative Living." Each session has an opening prayer or reflection, then a reading from Thomas Merton and then another author on the same theme. Yesterday's opening reflection from "Living your deepest desires" was from Psalm 119:
My part, I have resolved, O Lord,
is to obey your word.
With all my heart I implore your favor;
show the mercy of your promise.
I have pondered over my ways
and returned to your will."
For me, this connects with my meditation on the prayer of Jesus in the garden. "Not my will but your will be done." No matter what the cost, our desire to do God's will comes first. Jesus surrenders his whole being to the Father.

No comments: