Search This Blog

Thursday, March 22, 2007

Jesus is Life

Jesus says in today's Gospel, "you do not want to come to me to have life."
Is Jesus still saying this to me today? He is the Way, the Truth, the Life. Where would I go to have life apart from Jesus?
He has come that we may have life and have it abundantly. Yet his reproach to the Jews is true. At times we act as if we do not want to come to Jesus to have life. We look for life in our world of consumerism; we seek instant gratification; we forget that Jesus calls us to choose life.
"Come to Me all you who labor and are weary, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble of heart and you will find rest for your souls."
Lord, You are my Life. Let me come to You.

O Lord Jesus Christ, the Way, the Truth, and the Life, grant that we may never stray from you who are the Way, nor distrust you who are the Truth, nor rest in any thing other than you, who are the Life. Teach us by your Holy Spirit what to believe, what to do, and wherein to take our rest. For your own name's sake we ask it, O Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen
Prayer of Desiderius Erasmus (c.1466-1536)

No comments: