Search This Blog

Sunday, March 2, 2008

Fourth Sunday of Lent



Samuel anoints David, the youngest of Jesse's eight sons. David had been out with the sheep. The Lord chose him and said that he did not look at appearances but at the heart.
The Responsorial Psalm is "The Lord is my Shepherd, there is nothing I shall want."
The Gospel is the long story of the man born blind being cured by Jesus who anointed his eyes with clay and sent him to wash in the pool of Siloam. He went and washed and came back able to see.
Then begins the struggle as no one wants to believe him and the Pharisees even say Jesus is not from God as he healed on the Sabbath. Others question how a sinful man could do such signs. Finally, they call the man who had been blind and tell him that Jesus is a sinner. He answers them,"One thing I know is that I was blind and now I see." There is much more, but that is the main point - and they throw him out and then Jesus found him and asked him, "Do you believe in the Son of Man?" And the Gospel ends with the man who now can see making a profession of faith, "I do believe, Lord."
Jesus is the Good Shepherd; Jesus is also the Light of the World and when we follow Him we walk in the light.
I leave for a short vacation and will not be near the computer until next Friday. The University is having Spring Break, but not my online Program in Spirituality Studies, but it will be nice to take a Break for part of the week.

No comments: