Search This Blog

Monday, February 25, 2019

Transfiguration



The book I have been reading is The Gospel According to St. Paul: Meditations on His Life and Letters, by Cardinal Carlo Maria Martini, SJ and translated by Marsha Daigle-Williamson, PhD. It was translated in 2008, but I had not read it and I love Cardinal Martini's writings.
What struck me most was Chapter 3 on the Transfiguration of Paul. 
We are to reflect on Paul's transfiguration that his inner purification led to in order to meditate on our own transfiguration. Martini's first point is the transfiguration of Christ. Jesus was transformed. Paul will write to the Corinthians that "with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord are being changed (transfigured) into his likeness...for this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit." (2 Cor 3:18)
The same word that Luke uses for the change in the garments of Christ is used to describe the light Paul saw at his conversion.
I will continue tomorrow with my notes on the attitudes of Paul that help us to see his transfiguration.

No comments: