Search This Blog

Sunday, January 30, 2022

Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time


 

I am looking at the Collect for today's Mass. It begins, "Grant us, Lord our God, that we may honor you with all our mind, and love everyone in truth of heart." 

I wonder who wrote these Collects, Sometimes I am not sure what they really are saying. 

The first reading is from the Prophet Jeremiah: "The word of the Lord came to me, saying: Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I dedicated you, a prophet to the nations I appointed you....."

The second reading is from the First Letter of Paul to the Corinthians, 12:31-13:13

This is such a well-known passage about love - no matter what other gifts I may have, if I do not have love, I am nothing.

Then we have the Gospel from Luke 4: 21-30 

Jesus is speaking in the synagogue and, at first, the people speak highly of Him. But then they begin to ask "Isn't this the son of Joseph?" Jesus tells them that no prophet is accepted in his own native place. 

Jesus gives examples and the crowd is filled with fury. They drove Jesus out of town and would have tried to kill Him," but Jesus passed through the midst of them and went away."


No comments: