Search This Blog

Sunday, January 23, 2022

Third Sunday in Ordinary Time


 I cannot believe that this is the Third Sunday in Ordinary Time. I am still in quarantine for at least another ten days, I think. I hope it is not longer. It seems that a couple of my sisters also have the virus and so the whole house is confined to rooms. Since I cannot be in my room in Westwood because we do not have private bathrooms, I was moved to our large guest room in Rosewood. Now I can have my laptop and write this blog. I also will be on the Sunday 90- minute Province zoom I am happy about that and will also be able to set up zooms for next week.

Now, to look at today's liturgy. We ask in the Collect that we may abound in good works.

The first reading is from the Book of Nehemiah where Ezra read the law to all the people from daybreak till midday. It seems that they listened attentively. At the end, Ezra said to all the people: "Today is holy to the Lord your God. Do not be sad, and do not weep". He also told them to "Go eat rich foods and drink sweet drinks and allot portions to those who had nothing prepared; for today is holy to our Lord. Do not be saddened this day, for rejoicing in the Lord must be your strength."

I love that line about rejoicing in the Lord must be our strength. 

The Responsorial Psalm: "Your words, Lord, are Spirit and life."

The second reading is from the First Letter of Paul to the Corinthians, 12:12-30 

Paul talks about the body having many parts but are one body.

The Gospel is Luke 1: 1-4, 4:14-21

Here we have Jesus going to the synagogue in Nazareth and reading the passage: "The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to bring glad tidings to the poor...


No comments: