Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Learn to Recognize the Dawn


I am going to borrow some of the stories, quotes, and meditations found in the article by Frederic A. Brussat; someone gave it to me and I do not know the source. The title is "50 Ways to Keep Your Soul Alive". I think some of these ways would be good to reflect on in this blog. We all need to care for our souls and Brussat has collected material from some of my favorite authors; I will share what I can with you over the next month when the Spirit does not inspire something else.
The first way to keep your soul alive is to learn to recognize the dawn.
The following is quoted from Tales of Hasidim quoted in Touching the Holy by Robert Wicks. (Ave Maria Press, 1992).
An old rabbi once asked his pupils how they could tell when the night had ended and the day had begun. "Could it be," asked one of the students, "when you can see an animal in the distance and tell whether it is a sheep or a dog?"
"No," answered the rabbi.
Another asked, "Is it when you can look at a tree in the distance and tell whether it is a fig tree or a peach tree?"
"No," answered the rabbi.
"Then what is it?" the pupils demanded.
"It is when you can look on the face of any man or woman and see that it is your sister or brother. Because if you cannot see this, it is still night."

No comments: