Search This Blog

Sunday, November 4, 2007

Today I Must Stay At Your House


I am still reflecting on today's Gospel. The fact that the Gospel begins by telling us, "At that time, Jesus came to Jericho and intended to pass through the town."
It seems that Jesus had no intention of staying in Jericho. But he changed his mind! Why? Because of Zacchaeus, a sinner, but also one with a desire to see Jesus. Jesus makes himself available; he even takes the initiative to invite himself when he sees that Zachaeus had enough desire to run climb a sycamore in order to see him. Now, Jesus no longer intends to pass through but states, "Today I must stay at your house."

Jesus says the same to me. I, too, am a sinner with an intense desire for Jesus. He comes to stay with me. He "has come to save what was lost." He desires to stay with me even more than I desire him; he gives me the desire.
Zacchaeus changed because of Jesus. He had a real conversion experience. May I, too, be changed because Jesus stays with me. Every Holy Communion has Jesus inviting me to enter his Heart, but he also enters my heart, my home. Jesus calls to me each day: "Come down quickly, for today I must stay at your house."

No comments: