Search This Blog

Monday, November 17, 2008

Eve of St. Philippine Duchesne's Feast


Sometimes a calm, beautiful scene helps us to slow down and relax. As my readers must know by now, I am fond of looking at water - waterfalls, ocean, lakes, and streams - all appeal to me. This is a day to relax and enjoy.
It is also the day to use this:
As the internet becomes more prevalent in our lives, help me adapt to the changes it brings. Standing in awe of pictures and maps received on my screen from around the world let me not forget to actually go outside. Guide me to discern which e-mail is important, which to delete, and which furthers peace and harmony on the planet. Oh Angel of Patience, Help me clean up my typos and slow my fingers as I fire off a potentially hurtful message. When I stare at a full inbox, remind me what Rabbi Tarfon said in tractate Avot of the Talmud: "It is not incumbent upon you to complete the task but neither are you free to desist from it." Grant me the wisdom to know a computer cannot replace a real hug and of course, bless all those who read this.

I need to say a word about Philippine Duchesne on the eve of her feast. Until she was canonized, we celebrated her feast on November 17, the eve of her death. It has always been a special day for me since I went to school at the Academy of the Sacred Heart in St. Charles, Missouri where Philippine started the very first convent of the Sacred Heart in 1818. It was a boarding school and a free school and the grounds are still marked by her pioneer spirit. More about her tomorrow. She is one of my favorite saints! I think her gifts to me are love of my vocation and fortitude!

No comments: