Search This Blog

Friday, November 14, 2008

Faith gives us the promise of peace and makes known the demands of love


Today, I want to share again from "The Duty of Delight: The Diaries of Dorothy Day" and that is the reason for her picture above. However, I also am going to share my reflection on the alternate opening prayer for today's liturgy:Father in heaven, God of power and Lord of mercy, from whose fullness we have all received, direct our steps in our everyday efforts. May the changing moods of the human heart and the limits which our failings impose on hope never blind us to you, source of every good. Faith gives us the promise of peace and makes known the demands of love. Remove the selfishness that blurs the vision of faith. Grant this through Christ our Lord. Amen.
Yesterday, physically by laser, a veil was removed from my right eye: may I have the grace to remove the "selfishness that blurs the vision of faith."
It is "faith that gives us the promise of peace and makes known the demands of love."
Dorothy Day gives us the example of both faith and love. She believed that only love can change our world and give us lasting peace. The following quote if from her time in jail. She has been talking about how she had felt the first time she was in jail and how she identified so completely with the others that she felt their despair. Then she wrote:"The memory of that black hopelessness was still so present to me that this year I made the stations as Abbot Marmion advised us to do to increase my fortitude, and to my petitions I added that Christian joy would also strengthen me. If you want to help others, you cannot convey to others what you do not possess and who can help wanting to bring a little light into so dark a place as a city prison. I would be guilty of a lack of gratitude if I did not show in my whole behavior the peace and happiness and joy which is in the foretaste of the well-being of heaven."
Christian joy does strengthen us and we should be grateful and joyful even in the midst of a world that is full of suffering so that we may give joy to others! I firmly believe this and am trying to live it.

No comments: