Search This Blog

Friday, November 7, 2008

Let us go rejoicing to the House of the Lord...


The entrance antiphon for today's liturgy tells us: "Let hearts rejoice who search for the Lord. Seek the Lord and his strength, seek always the face of the Lord."

I am again reading The Duty of Delight: The Diaries of Dorothy Day as I had only read from 1933 to 1955 before I went away last summer and I have been wanting to get back to this rather large book that is full of wisdom. Dorothy, in today's entry, quoted from Von Hugal's Letters to His Niece:
Live all you can, as complete and full a life as you can find--do as much as you can for others. Read, work, enjoy--love and help as many souls, do all this. Yes, but remember, be alone, be remote, be away from the world, be desolate, Then you will be near God."

Now that makes me think and maybe want to argue. However, here is Dorothy a few entries later saying: "This last week an infected heel, poison ivy in one eye, flu, arthritis in the feet. Miserable and more so because I could not help Tamar who has her hands full with Dave and his broken arm and the children. Slept in the children's play room and read Conrad's Chance. I do like him."

Dorothy was so human but she would have approved of us going rejoicing to the House of the Lord!

No comments: