Search This Blog

Saturday, December 13, 2008

The Lost Sheep



Today I am going to share a poem someone gave me that is from Sor Juana Ines de la Cruz, a 17th century Mexican nun, scholar, and poet. I hope it will mean as much to you as it does to me.
Poor little lost sheep,
forgetful of your Master,
where can you be straying? When you depart from me,
it's life you leave behind, will you not see?

Drinking stagnant waters
our of ancient cisterns,
you slake your foolish thirst,
while deaf to your mistake,
the spring of waters you forsake.

Call to mind my favors;
you'll see how lovingly
I watch over you
to free you of offense,
laying down my life in your defense.

Covered with frost and snow,
I leave the flock behind,
to follow your foolish steps;
still you spurn this love of mine,
though for you I've left the other ninety-nine.

Consider that my beauty,
beloved of every creature,
desired by them all-
by every single one-
has set its heart on winning you alone.

Down paths through briary wastes,
I follow where you have trod,
I brave these rugged woods
until my feet are torn,
are stabbed and pierced by every passing thorn.

Still, I shall seek you out
and, even if in the search
I risk my very life,
yours I shall not disown;
to find you, I would sooner lose my own.


The Lord is still seeking each of us whenever we stray and wants to carry us home!

No comments: