Search This Blog

Thursday, December 4, 2008

St. John of Damasus



John of Damasus is the last of the Greek Fathers of the Church. He was a great preacher and scholar. His summary of theology, "Fountain of Wisdom" influenced many in the eighth century. He was named a doctor of the Church in 1890.

In today's Gospel, Jesus reminds us that "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord, will enter the Kingdom of Heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father in heaven."
How am I doing the will of God today? The will of God is not something static out there somewhere, but it means that I seek to know what pleases God in the daily living of my life; God wants me to be happy and I need to listen to the way God calls me each day and do my best to respond.
If we listen and act on these words of Jesus in today's Gospel, we will be like the wise man who built his house on rock. Rain, floods, wind - nothing collapsed the house; "it had been set solidly on rock."
Jesus is our Rock! Isaiah tells us: "Trust in the Lord forever! For the Lord is an eternal Rock..."
Doing God's will, moment by moment, in the circumstances of our ordinary daily lives is the way to build our houses on the solid foundation of rock! Advent is a time to examine the foundations of our lives!

No comments: