Search This Blog

Friday, December 19, 2008

O Root of Jesse


Today we have the O Antiphon: "O Root of Jesse's stem, sign of God's love for all his people: come to save us without delay."

This is one of my favorite antiphons since I often find myself crying out to God: "Come! Come to save us without delay." The without delay is important!

Jesse was the father of King David and is therefore related to Jesus. He was the grandson of Ruth and was from Bethlehem. There are different symbols for this antiphon but the point is that Jesus is the shoot that Isaiah said would sprout from the stump of Jesse, "and from his roots a bud shall blossom.

I have a poem that a dear friend in Scotland sent me. It is by Nano McHardy, RSCJ who died at the age of 102! It is called "God's Troubadour" and I would love to share it with my readers today:

"It is what He does that I love
And what He loves, I do."


And when His will
Like a two edged sword
Pierces my flesh
Then I cry aloud.
I'll soar on Love's wing
Like a lark while I sing:
"It's what He does that I love
And what He loves, I do."


When fears and doubts
Harass my mind,
Sap my strength
And leave me blind,
The face of my King
I shall seek as I sing:
"It's what He does that I love
And what He loves, I do."


When sorrow's dark
Has cut to the quick
And storm clouds gather
Fast and thick-
Then with a fling
Of my heart I will sing:
"It's what He does that I love
And what He loves, I do."


It is a lovely poem to reflect upon this week with Our Lady.

No comments: