Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The Fire of God



This poem of Joyce Rupp was part of the prayer one of my community prepared for my birthday on Monday. It was a lovely day and I think this may be the best year of my life and I hope I will be able to give joy to God and others. Here is the poem which I am still praying over:

I wanted it.
Desired it greatly.
Yearned for its coming.

But when it did come
I fought, resisted,
ran, hid away.

I said, "Go home!"

I didn't know
the fire of God
could be more
than a gentle glow
or a cozy consolation.

I didn't know
it could come
as a blaze.

A wildfire
uncontrolled,
searing my soul.
chasing my old ways,
smoking them out.

Only when I stopped running,
gave up the chase,
surrendered,
did I know the fire's flaming
as consolation and joy.

Only then
could I welcome
the One whose fire
I had long sought.

No comments: