Search This Blog

Friday, October 15, 2010

Feast of Teresa of Avila


Today is the Feast of Teresa of Avila, who is a Doctor of the Church as well as the reformer of the Carmelites in the 16th century. She died in 1852 after having made many foundations and her writings are still influencing us today, especially her spiritual classic on prayer, "The Interior Castle."

The opening prayer for today's liturgy asks that her inspired teaching may awaken in us a longing for true holiness. I think I have that longing and, if you are reading this blog, you have it, too. It is how we continue to deepen that longing which leads us to greater intimacy with Jesus that matters. Jesus wants to be the Center of our life!

I am home from a wonderful two weeks in St. Charles, St. Louis, and a week end in Kansas tracing the footsteps of our pioneer Religious in their work with the Indians in Sugar Creek and St. Mary's. I will tell you more tomorrow about my research in the archives and the graces of these two weeks away.
One of my dear friends in Scotland needs your prayer so please pray for Jane that God may restore her to health.

No comments: