Search This Blog

Saturday, October 23, 2010

The Purpose of Contemplation



I suspect we could all come up with different reasons for cultivating contemplation. It is, of course, a gift and we are called to it by God. Today I dipped into a new book by Carl McColman, The Big Book of Christian Mysticism that a good friend had told me about; he loved the first chapters but I found myself jumping to later chapters and here is a sample of what I copied in my Journal in the place where I save quotations - these were all on page 246:

"Christian mysticism is a path without a destination, for the point behind the journey is not to reach a goal, but rather to be reached--by God."

"The purpose of contemplation is only to be available for God and to open yourself up to his elusive presence."

"...God is always present and already loves you regardless of what you do or don't do to cultivate and accept that love."

I firmly believe that last quote but do I live as though I really believed it? "Lord, help my unbelief!"

No comments: