Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Feast of St. John of the Cross



It continues to be a record cold in Miami but we have the heat back on as of last night. I have forgotten what it means to be in the north where they are actually snowed in and roads are blocked by the snow which the wind has blown into huge drifts that are blocking access to many roads. I guess the ski resorts are loving the amount of snow that we are getting this December in some parts, but others must be frustrated as they cannot get out to shop. All this brings me to St. John of the Cross and his feast today. He would want us to have the stillness, the silence, of the snow. It is not easy in Advent, but worth setting a time aside each day to be quiet; to listen to the gentle voice of God speaking in our souls; to just be and enjoy the many gifts we have been given by slowing down and taking time to thank for them. Advent is a wonderful season but we are filling it up with so many extras that we need to build in a few minutes of solitude each day just to be still. God is saying to each of us: "Be still and know that I am God."
If I miss a blog (I did yesterday), it is because I am reserving time to just be amid the business of this season. Preparing for Christmas is different when we are able to be silent even for a short time each afternoon.

No comments: