Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Calm water stills the soul


Sometimes I need to just look at the above picture of calm water to feel a peace and stillness that leads me into prayer. Today I am going to a memorial Mass for a wonderful professor with whom I enjoyed many a laugh as he was always able to see the good and funny side of things even when we were working with a committee one year that never seemed to get things decided without endless discussion and research. Anyway, I had a real connection with him and went to his retirement luncheon just a few months ago and felt that he would have a long life still so his death was not expected by me. I suspect though that he is making people laugh and smile now in heaven.
Here is a quote from Herman Melville:
"Say you are in the country, in some land of lakes. Take almost any path you please, and ten to one it carries you down in a dale, and leaves you there by a pool in the stream. There is magic in it...Yes, as everyone knows, meditation and water are wedded forever."

No comments: