Search This Blog

Saturday, August 29, 2020

"But I have quieted and stilled my soul

 Since I have been using Life in the Psalms: Contemporary Meaning in Ancient Texts by Patrick Woodhouse, the Psalms seem to be coming alive for me with new meaning. I think the author does want us to find contemporary meanings for the Psalms, but what is helping me is to just take one verse and stay with it, let it seep in, and try to use it during the day. If I do not remember it word for word, I still find it helpful. 

Psalm 131 is what I am going to be using today.

O Lord, my heart is not proud,

my eyes are not raised in haughty looks.

I do not occupy myself with great matters,

with things that are too high for me.

But I have quieted and stilled my soul,

like a weaned child on its mother's breast;

so my soul is quieted within me.

O Israel, trust in the Lord,

from this time forth for evermore.

I think I will continue to reflect on this Psalm on Monday, but let us all strive to quiet and still our souls.


No comments: