Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 26, 2020

How to discover life in the psalms?

 First of all, we need to pray the psalms. They will teach us how to discover their life. Patrick Woodhouse tells us, "Because they ceaselessly orbit around the question of God, each one, whatever its different focus--and their range is huge--is about prayer, and the search for a deeper life in God. So the challenge is to attend to them."

Sometimes it will just be the first line of the psalm that invites us into prayer; stay where you find fruit! Always read the psalm slowly twice - what meaning may this psalm have for me today? It is a challenge and we may need to search for the meaning for us now this very day.

I used Psalm 63 for the Westwood Community prayer last Monday night. It begins:

"O God, you are my God, eagerly I seek you" - and that desire has stayed with me for I do seek God.


No comments: