Search This Blog

Sunday, August 30, 2020

Twenty-Second Sunday in Ordinary Time

The entrance antiphon is a cry that we need to make for ourselves and our world today:

"Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I cry to you all the day long. O Lord, you are good and forgiving, full of mercy to all who call to you."

Collect: "God of might, giver of every good gift, put into our hearts the love of your name, so that, by deepening our sense of reverence, you may nurture in us what is good and by your watchful care, keep safe what you have nurtured..."

The first reading is from Jeremiah 20:7-9

"You duped me, O Lord, and I let myself be duped;..."

Responsorial Psalm: My soul is thirsting for you. O Lord my God.

"O God, you are my God whom I seek...."

The second reading is from Paul's Letter to the Romans 12:1-2

He tells us not to conform ourselves to this age, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that "you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and pleasing and perfect."

The Gospel is Matthew 16:21-27

It ends by Jesus saying, "Whoever wishes to come after me must deny himself, take up his cross, and follow me..." And then he asks us what profit would there be for one to gain the whole world and forfeit his life?


No comments: