Search This Blog

Monday, November 16, 2020

Thoughts from the Liturgy today

I am missing the opportunity to go to Mass and receive Communion. I heard that some might be able to have Mass for the Feast of St. Philippine. We shall see and, as never more than ten of us are to be in a room together, I am willing to miss the Mass if I can have Communion sometime on the feast. For now, I want to share two thoughts from Monday's liturgy. The first is from the Book of Revelation where the Lord is speaking to the Church of Ephesus. He tells them, "You have endured and have suffered for my name, and you have not grown weary. Yet, I hold this against you: you have lost the love you had at first."

Whenever I read that about losing the love we had at first, I renew my love and assure the Lord that it has grown during my life. I want to be like the verse found in today's responsorial psalm: She "is like a tree planted near running water, that yields its fruit in due season, and whose leaves never fade. Whatever she does, prospers." I use the feminine pronoun, but that verse always helps me to pray.

Today's Gospel is from Luke 18:35-43 where the blind man hears that Jesus is passing by and calls out: "Jesus, Son of David, have pity on me!" When told to be silent, he calls out even louder. Jesus stopped and called for him to come near and then Jesus asked him "What do you want me to do for you?" And he said, "Lord, please let me see." Jesus cures him and does the same for us when we cry out to be healed.


No comments: