Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 7, 2021

Creative Writing


 What do you see? Sometimes a stange picture is enough to awaken our imaginations. Our new Life Enrichment Director has begun a small writing group. Threre were only six of us present yesterday and only two of us had been present for the first session that spoke of writing our memoirs. Yesterday we heard of different ways to be creative in writing when we felt we could not write or were stuck. Then we were given ten minutes to write about a room - any room. Afterwards, we read what we had each written and I found that the best part of the exercise. Each one had chosen a different kind of room and it was fascinating to hear the different ways they approached describing their "room" - one had chosen the beach! I chose the living room in the large home we lived in from sixth grade to when I entered the Society of the Sacred Heart just after my 19th birthday. I loved that room and all the family gatherings. In ten minutes I did not finish my description but have been remembering how we were allowed to toast marshmellows in the fireplace, how the Christmas tree was always placed in front of the French doors, how the firplace was flanked by two built in bookcases; the one on the left was mine and the one on the right was my father's. 

Today I thought of how God was present in that living room with all of us. I think I am going to enjoy this creative writing. I suggest that you try it, too. I actually have an autobiography that I wrote because of the interest of my community but that was in 2003 so I guess I should be adding the important things I remember from these last years.

No comments: