Search This Blog

Saturday, September 25, 2021

The Salve Regina


 Hail, holy Queen, Mother of mercy, our life, our sweetness, and our hope. To you do we cry, poor banished children of Eve; to you so we send up our sighs, mourning and weeping in this vale of tears. Turn, then, most gracious advocate, your eyes of mercy toward us; and after this our exile, show unto us the blessed fruit of your womb, Jesus: O clement, O loving, O sweet Virgin Mary.

This is a prayer sung at the end of Compline or Night Prayer. It is also the prayer that ends the recitation of the rosary. I think it used to be said at the end of Mass when I was a child. Today I want to share two thoughts that I am taking from Lawrence Cunningham's reflection on this prayer. He points out how it is a prayer centered on hope. Then, he says that since life is described as an exile, "one could call the Salve Regina a prayer of pilgrimage--life having a destination for which we long, a journey for which we need assistance, care, and direction."

Then we could remember that Mary's life recorded in the Gospels is one of travel: to Elizabeth; to Bethlehem, to Egypt, to Jerusalem, to, I think, wherever she could be with Jesus, and then to Calvary. So this prayer is asking Mary to accompany us on our own journey toward our final end. 

I hope this helps you to renew your love for this prayer; it helped me.

No comments: