Search This Blog

Sunday, October 17, 2021

Twenty-Ninth Sundah in Ordinary Time


The entrance antiphon for today's Mass makes a good prayer:

"To you I call; for you will surely heed me, O God; turn your ear to me, hear my words. Guard me as the apple of your eye; in the shadow of your wings protect me."

The Collect asks that "we may always conform our will to yours and serve your majesty in sincerity of heart." 

The first reading is from Isaiah 53: 10-11

"The Lord was pleased to crush him in infirmity.....Because of his affliction he shall see the light in fullness of days; through his suffering, my servant shall justify many, and their guilt he shall bear."

Responsorial Psalm: "Lord, let your mercy be on us, as we place our trust in you."

The second reading is from the Letter to the Hebrews 4: 14-16

The Gospel is Mark 10: 35-45 where James and John come to Jesus and have the audacity to ask him to do for them whatever they ask of him. Jesus uses the opportunity to later tell all that "whoever wishes to be great among you will be the slave of all. For the Son of Man did not come to be served but to serve and to give his life as a ransom for many."
 

No comments: