Search This Blog

Sunday, September 2, 2007

22nd Sunday in Ordinary Time


Jesus tells us a parable about how some invited guests to a wedding choose the places of honor. You may need to go lower so Jesus says, "Take the lowest place." Then, you may be asked to move up to a higher place. "Everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted."

Humility is accepting the truth about yourself. We are having our community planning meeting this week end and I think the virtue of humility is one that makes living together a joy as we are all trying to help one another. This quote from Anthony de Mello, SJ may help you as it has helped me. It is from his The Song of the Bird.
I was a revolutionary when I was young and all my prayer to God was, "Lord, give me the energy to change the world." As I approached middle age and realized that half my life was gone without my changing a single soul, I changed my prayer to "Lord, give me the grace to change all those who come in contact with me. Just my family and friends and I shall be satisfied." Now that I am old and my days are numbered, my one prayer is, "God, give me the grace to change myself." If I had prayed this right from the start I should not have wasted my life.

No comments: