Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Sts. Cosmas and Damien

Cosmos and Damien were twin brothers and doctors. They treated patients without charge. As they lived in the second century, we have many stories and legends about them. What is definitely true is that both suffered martyrdom; then a series of miraculous cures began. Even the Emperor Justinian I claimed to have been cured through their intercession. Along with St.Luke,the Evangelist, they are the patron saints of physicians.

The Gospel today has Jesus giving to his Apostles the power and authority over all demons and to cure diseases, and he sent them to proclaim the Kingdom of God and to heal the sick. And they went from village to village proclaiming the good news and curing diseases everywhere.

Sometimes we forget that Jesus did give power to heal. People today who have enough faith are often able to heal others or to be healed. We need to strengthen our faith in the power of God to heal us.

Lord, I do believe. Help my unbelief!

I will be away for a week, but will try to post my blog whenever I can.

No comments: